Thursday, January 12, 2012

Entry 2-Thoughts on Theory

So after reading some more very hard to read social theory, good but I'm still not quite sure what I can or cannot say, I have come to this conclusion about my project so far: I need to focus on a single site or particular ancient woman or momument that incorporates ancient themes if I want to stick to an archaeological related topic. If I try anything else it will be very hard to search as well as collate all the information. Using an Egyptian queen might be a good idea or looking at Egyptian women in the field of archaeology may be a good idea.

I got another book on the topic that might introduce some more possible topics for me. This book is called Archaeology and Women: Ancient & Modern Issues and has chapters on many different places and many different examples of the intersection between women and the topic. I would also like to e-mail Lynn Meskell after I've read a bit more of her book and ask her about how it was, maybe, to work with the material and maybe about female egyptian Archaeologists.

Other than that my idea has been, if I pick a particular ancient woman or monument, is to relate initial interpretation of them by British archaeologists and compare those interpretations with modern understandings and perhaps even with popular beliefs about these things. I would like to relate them to common or "lay" person understandings or see how, if ever, they are framed within a more "Muslim" context.

No comments:

Post a Comment