Thursday, January 26, 2012

Entry 7--Famous Women Biographies

So after having a good chat with Lopez and rereading some of my articles for class I think I finally have some womens' sources that explore Egyptology, or at least a starting point. For next week we read an article called "May her likes be Multiplied" which has now been turned into a book by the same name. The article talks about these biographies of famous women that were incorporated into many women's journals during the early feminist movement. (Un?)Surprisingly, a few of the famous women that were written about were in fact ancient queens of Egypt. Particularly Pharaoh Nitocris and Nefertari, which are sort of cliched. However, it is at least an example of women during the early feminist movement, or at least literate elite women, engaging with the expanding presence of Egyptology. I requested the article about Nefertari from interlibrary loan. Although, I won't be able to read the piece there might be a picture or something that I could use and I can maybe find someone to translate it for me and then use it as a source. Other than that, I've got some insight now into the formulation of the family or "domesticity" into the public sphere (ie if the country was like a home or the country like a mother then domestic life was also public life) which may be useful in interpreting the use of female but ancient images on lots of monuments celebrating the Nationalist movement...we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment