Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Entry 6-Notes from a Meeting

Ah so many in one day! Actually its because I had my meeting with my Professor and finally have some more guidance. So instead of going from source material and then a question I'm going from question outwards (how novel). Anyways I think my guiding question will be something like

How has the knowledge or study of Ancient Egypt or Egyptology affected or intersected with Egyptian Feminist Discourse if at all?

I think that is what I am going for and now I need to read some memoirs and writings of Egyptian feminists, male and female, to see if this occurs. Huzzah! Anyways I also wanted to put up my general and random notes about what I have found so far, please stop me of I'm boring you.

Lopez suggested that I possibly talk to Joel Walker about this topic since he researches in this general area as well. I have met him once or twice before, in very informal ways, so it might be an interesting chance to talk with him about an actual research topic. Besides that he also suggested that I look at the Mustafa Kamil Statue which is very famous and has stuff written about it. Specifically a monograph by Israel Gershoni and James Jankowski. He also suggested that I explore current Egyptian feminist rhetoric to see if any of it extends past the great movement of 1919 for inspiration. He also suggested that I look into works by Salamah Musa who's a big philosopher and might have made connections between feminist rhetoric and pharaonic motifs. There's his biography called The education of Salāma Mūsā:= Tarbiyat Salāmah Mūsa that I might look into. There was also Badran's book Feminists, Islam, and Nation and the book May Her Likes Be Multiplied which talks about the mini biographies written by Egyptian women about other notable women. I might also want to explore when and where the invocation of early Islamic perception of women played into Egyptian feminism. He also suggested that I look at the wife of Sa'd Zaghloul who was a major player in Egyptian Feminism. Other than that he also gave me the e-mail address for an anthropology graduate student who worked on this sort of thing. Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment