Thursday, January 12, 2012

Entry 3-and then there were Pharaohs

I know! why wasn't this just in entry 2 (not that anyone knows this exists :P) but I just looked up some famous female pharaohs on a site of dubious knowledge. A few sound promising but I'm not sure how I should proceed with this.

http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/pharaohs-women.php

^^That's the URL and it has a list of different female Pharaohs. I feel like I'd probably pick the one that talks about the woman who is depicted as wearing man's dress and hopefully find some articles about the discovery/interpretation of those images and get all gender historical on that. Though, stemming from my hesitancy to approach this topic at all, I don't want to fall into a sort of pseudo report. I have always felt that Egyptology, no offense to those who do it in a scholarly manner, are what people who have no idea about archaeology want to do. I feel like the interest in it rests in a fascination with the exoticness of the ancient world. So that's why I hesitate about this a bit. What I'd like to do is read a bit more, a little from Archaeologies of Social theory , Archaeology and Women: Ancient & Modern issues , Whose Pharaohs?, and my crash course Egyptology book before I look for stuff more specific. I think then that I will be in a good place to look for concrete things and perhaps start saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment