Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Entry 5--Art, Archives, and Architecture

I reread some of the articles this week for my class and have gotten some sources that might be helpful in my search for information on my topic. I am going to pick up a memoir called Harem Years: The memoirs of an Egyptian Feminist and an article called "The Revolutionary Gentlewomen of Egypt". These are closer to general readings for my class but I think that they will explore if there was any discourse by Egyptian women that dealt with the issue of Ancient women's identity. Also the memoirs span the time when all of the monuments that I am going to discuss were built so any mention of them and their architecture would be very useful. I also just did a google scholar search and found a paper presented by Dr. Hisham Hussein Azmi from Cairo University (http://www.sea1917.org/heritage/UIA-WPAHR-V/Papers-PDF/Dr.%20Hesham%20Azmy.pdf)that discusses Egypt's Architectural identity and explores Nahdet Misr. There are quite a few free online PDFs like this but those related to scholarly publications are a bit harder to find. Google Scholar(also found this article (http://www.academy.ac.il/data/egeret/70/EgeretArticles/somekh%20article%203.pdf) but its on Naguib Mahfouz and I'm not sure exactly what it has to do with the Saad Zaghloul statue but I will continue looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment